Wednesday 11 January 2012

The 50s Housewife




So a lot of women want a career. A lot of women preach that we are the most powerful generation of women yet. A lot of women quote casual relationships are empowering. A lot of women are quick to critice and dismiss the women of the fifties.

So, I would like a career, but I won't let it dictate my life. I don't think we're the most powerful generation of women yet, but I do think we're getting smarter. I don't think casual relationships are empowering, I think women use them as an excuse for feminism. And finally, I cannot take anyone who thinks the women of the fifties were anything less than fabulous seriously.

Women of 2012 will criticise me for saying this in black and white, but I don't see why we should abandon traditional gender roles yet still expect a man to carry our shopping, to fix the fuse, or replace a car tyre. I'd love to see the modern feminist take on both gender roles, congratualtions and respect to any of them who do. For any woman reading this who is a feminist, I'm happy for you and I support you, but don't criticise the women who don't want the same things as you.

Sorry in advance!