Tuesday 1 May 2012

Amarige, Givenchy

How you'll read this depends on the kind of perfume girl you are. Are you a lover of perfumes with ten bottles open at a time? Or are you faithful to one, signature scent? I have done both, now settling to be the latter. I have now been with my perfume, Amarige by Givenchy, for nearly six years. And I have absolutely no intention of leaving.
You see, I used to want everything. I wanted to smell like flowers, I wanted to smell seductive, I wanted to smell expensive. I flitted between Chanel, Dior, The Body Shop, Calvin Klein, you name it I tried it.  It all changed one evening at my Nana and Papa's house. Now, I am like my Nana in more ways than one, the woman has five bedrooms filled with clothes from every era she's lived in, from nipped in waists to shift dresses, platforms to stillettoes, fur coats to trench coats, she's got the lot. And the best thing about her "collecting"? She loves to share. It was this evening that she presented me with the little glass bottle, filled with an inexplicably gold liquid, simple as you like. A little pearly top. Amarige stamped in clear, unfussy font across the bottle. And my Nana said "It's about time you got a signature scent, it's more womanly." Was it?! I didn't want to be tied down! I wanted to get out there, to explore, to smell fashionable and play at perfume counters!
Regardless, I took the bottle and thanked her, thinking it could be my "handbag perfume".
The next morning, I spritzed it onto my neck and wrists. And was shocked by how much I felt attracted to it. Deep, sensuous, feminine and fresh all at the same time, the scent filled me and warmed me. Dashing out to college, my Mum commented "that's a lovely smell" as I rushed out the door. That day, I received five compliments on my new scent, which lasted all morning and afternoon.
Six years on and I still can't get enough of it. Friends say they know I'm near when they smell Amarige, my Dad says it reminds him of me when he borrows my car which is full of the scent. I feel now that Amarige is a part of me, a natural addition to my body which I couldn't be without. The feeling which comes with dismissing the constant "would you like to try the new Calvin Klein fragrance?" in Fenwicks in indescribable, it's happy, it's content.
"No thanks, I'm taken."





"Givenchy Amarige is the symbol of femininity. Radiating and bursting with happiness, a zest for life and generosity. The Amarige woman is radiant and open-minded; her heart-felt joy is evident from her spontaneous, charming smile. The voluptuous bottle is the embodiment of femininity.
Inspired by the Amarige woman it contains a cheerful, tender and sensual flower bouquet."