Monday 30 July 2012

Can you have your cake and eat it too?


Something got me thinking the other day. It was as I was looking for jobs, for careers, in London and it suddenly occurred to me that at some point I will have to decide if I want a career, or if I want a job. Because obviously they are two very different things. I have been confident enough to say during the past couple of years that while I would like to work and be involved in the fashion industry, ultimately my ambition is to have a family of my own and raise children (three, in case you were wondering).

The more I thought about this choice, the more I wondered if it means I have an obligation to a company to tell them this would be my intention and risk any prospects of furthering my "career". If my choice would render me surplus to an industry I love so much. I told my friend about this, and instead of responding with confusion, she responded with a simple "well, why can't you have your cake and eat it too?"

Lorraine Candy can. Editor in Chief of Elle Magazine and devoted mother. Anna Wintour too. Victoria Beckham seems to be championing the expression. But would it work for normal women? Normal, working mothers. Personally, I wouldn't have children if I couldn't devote myself to them and their upbringing fully because let's face it, it's a huge responsibility to shape a little life. But I wonder, could I do both?

Could I have my cake and eat it too?