Friday 31 August 2012

Definitions


I always find there are certain words which people use to define themselves.

"Single"
"Married"
"Smoker"
"Feminist"
"Artist"

It set me off wondering why people feel the need to define themselves as these things. Do we need to define ourselves at all? If I were to define myself I'm not sure I'd even know where to begin.

Romantic?
Idealistic?
Ridiculous?
Photographer?
Cook?
Enthusiast?
Caring?

The idea of defining myself with a single word, like any of the above seems impossible. How can a person be defined so easily? Surely you'd need at least 20 adjectives? I wonder if people use the first words to define themselves because they give such a definite definition. Like, "I'm married and stable and happy so that's all you need to know." Or maybe, "I'm a feminist and there's no way I'm going to let you carry my shopping bags or get my number so don't even bother asking." Maybe the words are shields, comfort blankets, to ensure that no more details beyond the definition are necessary. One word says it all. And if that is true, then what the hell is my "one word"?! What's yours? How do you define yourself? And at the end of the day, do you even need to define yourself?