Thursday 23 August 2012

It's Complicated


So the other day, I actually found myself giving the answer "I can't, it's complicated." I could have slapped myself. I hate that expression. Because in reality, nothing is complicated. We have complicated everything for ourselves by over-analysing, over-describing and over-stressing.

There was a programme on Radio 4 the other day about how there are some cultures and tribes in the world which don't use numbers. No numbers, none at all. Because they don't think numbers are important. At first I thought, how silly, how can that work? But then the more I thought about it, the simpler the life you lead, the less complicated it is. Kind of like the other day when I had to take my car to the garage because the Lambda Probe had malfunctioned. A ridiculous piece of add-on software meant I couldn't drive for four days. Because it was over complicated. My Dad's 40-year-old VW Beetle has next to no features and doesn't ever break down/malfunction/misbehave. Because it's simple.

Here's to un-complicating everything.